The Land of Hope
- Kibo no kuni
- Japan 2012, DCP, 133 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director & Script: Sion SONO
- Production: The Land of Hope Film Partners: Dongyu Club, Bitters End, pictures dept., in association with Third Window Films and Joint Entertainment International
- Director of Photography: Shigenori MIKI
- World sales: pictures dept. co ltd
- Actors: Isao NATSUYAGI, Naoko OTANI, Jun MURAKAMI, Megumi KAGURAZAKA, Yutaka SHIMIZU
- Wednesday, June 5, 10:15 p.m. Mousonturm Saal
- Thursday, June 6, 10:30 p.m. Mal Seh'n Kino
- German premiere
Two years after Japan's nuclear disaster that followed the massive earthquake, Sion SONO stages a post-catastrophic science fiction drama that keeps the audience at a distance, so that actual events appear like inconceivable fiction that could never possibly become reality.
Sion SONO, born in 1961, is a filmmaker and poet. He started his career in 1986 as a pink director, but soon became one of the most famous Japanese directors. His final breakthrough came with LOVE EXPOSURE in 2008. Since then, he has won many awards at several international film festivals. In 2011, a Nippon Connections retrospective featured his work.
2002 Suicide Club (Jisatsu saakuru); 2006 Noriko's Dinner Table (Noriko no shokutaku / NC '07); 2008 Love Exposure (Ai no mukidashi / NC '09); 2011 Guilty of Romance (Koi no Tsumi) / Himizu