The Burning Buddha Man
- Moeru butsuzo ningen
- Japan 2012, HDcam, 80 min, Japanese with English subtitles
- Director, Script, Animation, Director of Photgraphy & Editor: Ujicha
- Production: INTERFILM
- World Sales: Stance Company
- Voice cast: Yuka IGUCHI, Minori TERADA, Chisako HARA
- Friday, June 7, 10:30 p.m. Naxoshalle Kino
- European premiere in presence of the director and of the Art Directors Gen ITO
A grotesque monster steals Buddha statues. When a statue is stolen from schoolgirl Beniko's family temple and her parents are killed, she aches for revenge. Ujicha mixes elements of Buddhism, Frankenstein and Ultraman to create a stunning and bizarre debut. He used a technique called Gekimation (masterfully painted paper cutouts are animated by hand) and worked on his film for more than 18 months.
Born in 1986 in Kyoto, Ujicha graduated from Kyoto Saga Art University. His talent was discovered by Reo ANZAI – a professor at his university and producer of figurines and toys. THE BURNING BUDDHA MAN is his first feature film.